About the teamwork

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

About the teamwork

Post by gerstrong »

Well, time to get a bit personal again, because this topic gets onto my feelings.

First up there are some team behavior patterns which I have seen during the 5 years of development and it seems to be pretty common in our society. Well as it is my first project which relies a bit an team work, it has been a new and enriching experience. It's not comparable to teams were goals are somehow forced.

For what is the status right now, I'm pretty unhappy. I see no one working on this project anymore while I see other projects where there are dozens of people working on it.

I consider myself in that regard a bad leader, but I try to get better. Back in 2009 there were Albert, Pizza2004, Tulip in between others who really helped.

Since starting of 2011 it really declined and I think mostly it is my fault. To some people I have been unfair in such situations. Other than that I think for most of the teammates it was a short term goal and as I'm the leader of the project, obviously they wanted to go their own way.

In these days I understand that behavior a bit more, but also continue mostly by myself on the project. I give credits to those who helped in the past and continue giving them, but the fact remains that it got a one man project. That is also the reason why features and releases take time.

Working together makes things getting done in less time. Now there is Hagel who helped me finding bugs and I'm very grateful for that. Also Tulip told lately that he wanted to help. He did that some times years ago. I think he has to much personal stuff to done. I still have some hopes though...

What will happen in future I don't know, we'll see...

There is only one thing important to consider and I really mean it. Helping once or twice doesn't make people part of the team and if I see that behavior I remove them from the list putting them into contributors at most.

What I don't like are empty promises. Promising something that doesn't get accomplished is something for what I don't have tolerance for. If you really want to be part of team you are welcome, but consider spending on the project some of your free time, not just an occasion and leave. And more important than that is to talk about issues, just disappearing won't solve any problem.

Other than that I always like to help, receive people and guide them. Just by working on CG or any other project like that can help improving the personal developer experience. I also learned a lot by developing CG, and it is just the beginning.
Having fun developing stuff...
tulip
Flower Pot

Re: About the teamwork

Post by tulip »

gerstrong wrote:Since starting of 2011 it really declined and I think mostly it is my fault. To some people I have been unfair in such situations. Other than that I think for most of the teammates it was a short term goal and as I'm the leader of the project, obviously they wanted to go their own way.
I don't see where you did wrong gerstrong. Me not really contributing last year was indeed because of a lot of changes in my life, not at all because of any problems with the CG team. I'm really motivated to contribute again next year, as I see it the changes will hopefully calm down a bit.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Re: About the teamwork

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:
gerstrong wrote:Since starting of 2011 it really declined and I think mostly it is my fault. To some people I have been unfair in such situations. Other than that I think for most of the teammates it was a short term goal and as I'm the leader of the project, obviously they wanted to go their own way.
I don't see where you did wrong gerstrong. Me not really contributing last year was indeed because of a lot of changes in my life, not at all because of any problems with the CG team. I'm really motivated to contribute again next year, as I see it the changes will hopefully calm down a bit.
That's good to know, I think we need to talk a bit. Tell me when you have time. I would like to know how you have been and what you are doing nowadays...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I'll try to check into #CommanderGenius these next days whenever I find the time, maybe I'll see you online some time.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Again I have to say, I feel this way about so many keen related things. So many things left unfinnished, unworked-upon. Unremarked. So it goes.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:I'll try to check into #CommanderGenius these next days whenever I find the time, maybe I'll see you online some time.
Okay, I will be there...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Levellass wrote:Again I have to say, I feel this way about so many keen related things. So many things left unfinnished, unworked-upon. Unremarked. So it goes.
I don't think so at all. CG supports Galaxy. There are side-elements that can be added, but the progress at this stage is good. Regarding team work and the behavior patterns applied in other situations I think you have a good point.
Last edited by gerstrong on Thu Dec 26, 2013 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't so at all.
Huh?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Levellass wrote:
I don't so at all.
Huh?
Fixed typo, thanks :o