The Google Play Store

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

The Google Play Store

Post by gerstrong »

Since Pelya got a lot of interest in the android platform and loves porting games in general, he decided to create his libSDL implementation:

http://libsdl-android.sourceforge.net/

I was more into Commander Genius, CloneKeenPlus at the time, but what really impressed me somehow that he named his repository after the name of the interpreter under Github:

http://github.com/pelya/commandergenius

I'm not sure if Commander Genius was the first game he ported, but it sure was one of them. I really didn't have to do anything with that port but I got some interest on the mobile and tablet based devices now that they got pretty popular and after having a talk to Pelya, we agreed that I would have a store where I can update Commander Genius for Android by myself.

He also gave me other game to maintain its ports and since that day I really try to have them up to date. Since then, I have learned a lot about development on android platforms, but still there is a long path going on.

I even was able to port most of the SDL2 stuff to libSDL as we have it now although no apps use it so far. If I get the time, CG will be the first in being supported and even more the gamers will get some benefits for it, because I plan to make CG more touch friendly as well.

The classical desktop PC approach with mouse, joystick and keyboard will remain, but also there I'm planning to implement some new features for better interaction. What exactly it will be is going to be discussed later.

So yeah, I will maintain that store and enhance it with a lot of greatness in future hopefully.

In my opinion libSDL is the wrong name for this project. Pelyas libSDL has SDL as base, but also a lot of other libs used by games, like curl, boost, ffmped, ogg to name a few. Also some partly patched sources of games are there. You can download all that and build for android whatever you wish. You will find games, like OpenArena, Tyrian, FreeHeroes, Vice and many more.

It's a nice sandbox to play with it...
Having fun developing stuff...
Keening_Product
Kuliwho?

Re: The Google Play Store

Post by Keening_Product »

gerstrong wrote:I plan to make CG more touch friendly as well.
In what ways? It's pretty touch-friendly already.
Keening_Product was defeated before the game.

"Wise words. One day I may even understand what they mean." - Levellass
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Keening_Product wrote:
Yeah, but there is room for improvement. Do we need to have the controls overlay displayed all the time? I think this can be improved for example.
Having fun developing stuff...
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

gerstrong wrote:
Keening_Product wrote:
Yeah, but there is room for improvement. Do we need to have the controls overlay displayed all the time? I think this can be improved for example.
The menus are far, far away from being "touch friendly" and there is a lot of room for improvement there.
bp
Vortininja

Post by bp »

It's a very solid port and I've been having a blast with it

It's just a tad too fast on my LG G2 though