Version 1.6.5.5 und 1.6.5.6 Release

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Version 1.6.5.5 und 1.6.5.6 Release

Post by gerstrong »

Yeah, I know, I'm holding you up...

For now I'm maintaining two branches at the same and merge a bit between both of them.

So here goes another release with just some small fixes and improvements as reported by our testers.

The next bigger version of CG (now called v1.7) is under the way, but will take a bit more time.

Here it goes the meanwhile: http://clonekeenplus.sourceforge.net/download/

Version 1.6.5.6 just has some windows issues fixed
Last edited by gerstrong on Sat Jan 25, 2014 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
Having fun developing stuff...
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I still can't scroll the games list :(
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:I still can't scroll the games list :(
Okay, lets try again and make it better. You should at least see a scroll bar though. Did you try out your mouse?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Tried mouse, tried keyboard, shows no scrollbar, and texts are printed over each other.
Paramultart
VBB's Partner in Crime

Post by Paramultart »

@Tulip: You have to configure the keyboard before it lets you do anything.

The biggest thing I dislike about this is that the game menus uses the mouse instead of keyboard. Just remove mouse support entirely. It keeps the game coherent and Keenish.

Also, how do I disable those annoying fade transitions between world map and levels?
"Father Mabeuf was surveying his plants"
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:Image

Tried mouse, tried keyboard, shows no scrollbar, and texts are printed over each other.
It seems to be the wrong version. Have you really downloaded the 1.6.5.5 version I just released two days ago?
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Paramultart wrote:@Tulip: You have to configure the keyboard before it lets you do anything.

The biggest thing I dislike about this is that the game menus uses the mouse instead of keyboard. Just remove mouse support entirely. It keeps the game coherent and Keenish.

Also, how do I disable those annoying fade transitions between world map and levels?
Interesting but I think mouse control makes sense, you still should be able to use keyboard and joystick though.

Not sure if Win32 Build is the version I wanted to upload... let me check.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:Image

Just found out, that one link on the website was wrong, my apologies
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Paramultart wrote:@Tulip: You have to configure the keyboard before it lets you do anything.

About the menus, I always wanted special mouse driven menus, but they should be controllable like oldschool with keyboard and joystick. So what is it what bothers you about the idea? What could we improve.

I can implement a switch for the transition effects which will turn them off. What effect do you want? Should we dim it darker?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

alrighty, now the scrollbar shows, but it doesn't work. I can use the keyboard ot move through all the games at least, but I don't see them, the cursor just moves off screen, and I can't use the mouse on that screen at all.
Image ->Image
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:alrighty, now the scrollbar shows, but it doesn't work. I can use the keyboard ot move through all the games at least, but I don't see them, the cursor just moves off screen, and I can't use the mouse on that screen at all.
Image ->Image
That is why I'm working on the new code base, to fix these issues as well. I hope solving a lot of design issues with GsKit.

I tried to implement keyboard scrolling but it really didn't work out that well. The new version will have better looking scroll buttons and be more usable for keyboard and joystick inputs.

So let me think if I release another 1.6.X or make it straight 1.7.X or 1.8.X. Not sure yet. I hope you can wait a bit, because it this stage I'd rather prefer releasing the next version series instead of working around design issues.

I also made the Patcher for mods in the 1.7.X series a bit smarter. ;-)

Is this a list of pure vorticon mods? Those names are very interesting...
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Hi, I would like to upload an alpha version with some improvements. Though the design is pretty new, I think a lot of features will be disabled or are broken. It is not yet finished and not meant for a public release.

Nevertheless it is a playable version both galaxy and vorticon as seperate engines now.

I can upload this thing right now or you wait so I get the version at a better state. I would create a testing section on the webpage.

@tulip: Would you test the alpha version, if I make the controls for keyboard and scrolling right and provide improved scrollbars? If yes, I would do that right now and look at the other missing stuff later.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

I can test it but not before wednesday.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

tulip wrote:I can test it but not before wednesday.
Well, I still have a lot of issues, still fixing them.
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Hey Gerstrong, I was introducing the younger generations to Keen (7 Year olds :D) when they found a bug. 2 Player keen 4, the one included with CGenius from the website. When they got to the well of wishes only 1 keen appeared :dopefish I don't know if this has already been addressed as it was the normal download from the site (1.6.5.6) but thought you ought to know.
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.