Commander Genius 1.7

All discussion about the Commander Genius project (a Keen interpreter + more).
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Would have been good to see those issues in the beta stage we had running one week ago. Anyways, I will take a look and fix it if I can reproduce the issues.

I don't use Windows 8.1. I tested this on Windows 7 not sure how compatible it is, with Windows 8 or higher but it should be.
Having fun developing stuff...
MOM4Evr
Vortininja

Post by MOM4Evr »

Hey! Long time no online in my case, and I was a complete jerk when I was on here last, so there's that.

Kudos on keeping up with this. I'll see if I can rope my brother into some multiplayer action later. Couple of things I noticed after a quick session by myself:

* Two-button firing is broken with the impossible pogo trick. Yeah, I know I'm the only one who still cares about two-button firing, but old habits die hard. Anyway, my test was in keen4 with attempting an ultimate pogo. The original game had a very short delay in which time you could press pogo, release pogo, and press jump in order to pull off an impossible pogo trick. I'm guessing the delay was one or two cycles (I'm not sure the exact fps the original runs at). Anyway, as CG is with the delay as it is, the impossible pogo trick with two-button firing is, well, physically impossible, as the fast sequence of pressing jump, releasing jump, and hitting pogo just causes you to fire.

* Wristwatch showing up does seem to depend on resolution/gfx settings. I've been fooling with it at different resolutions, aspect ratios, filters, etc. Occasionally it'll show up, usually not.

* Fullscreen mode seems to just make the window larger, without actually being fullscreen (The taskbar is still there). Other SDL2 applications I've run seem to work just fine, so no idea what's up with that.

* Current resolution in the video config menu defaults to 320x200, even when it's actually set to something else.

* The red bouncy ball dudes in Keen4 don't behave quite the same when pogoing on them. In the original game, I can stand on top of them to get them where I want, then pogo upwards, land back on them, and they stand still. Basically, they jump straight up for one bounce after you jump off of them. Here, they jump away the instant you pogo off them.

Overall, excellent work, and it's come a long ways since last version I tried.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Too bad release is today. I cannot fix that right now, but I will take a look for the next release.

http://github.com/gerstrong/Commander-Genius/issues/183
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Another release is up, 1.7.3.0. With this one, there are small bug fixes and a new patch selector for mods which have multiple patch files to choose.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't know how you can keep all the mod patches working.
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

The simple answer is that with the current setup we can't.
But we have supported a few basic patches for a while now.
Some mods with little patching work already, for example I tried playing through Revenge of Mortimer yesterday, and I could be done except for one single jump I wasn't able to do in CG.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I really like playing Pursuit in this, gives it more of a Galaxy feel.
I also like the filter.

Bugs
Can't jump high or far enough in normal and up.
Keen glides when falling making him hard to control.(Vorticons)
Elavators don't stop when they should.(Galaxy)
Berkaloids float across the sky.
Dopefish don't chase very well.
Schoolfish are swimming very fast.
Licks hop lightning fast and kill Keen before they can be shot.
Wormouths can't be shot in low areas.
Walking past mimrocks will kill instantly.
Two tile high hallways are hard to jump into. (Vorticons)
Vorticons get "stuck" when the lights are out.
TFOS does not work with CG. (So...why did you put it in?)
The camlead button does not switch to the correct player.
Need split screen for multiplayer.[/b]
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Thank you for those reports.

A few of those bugs have been observed already, some of them are new. I guess when we have a version that supports a dosbox emulation we can see exactly where the CG engine differs too much in the AIs of the monsters.

I'll add the issues not related to the physics/AI engine to github right away, the rest I'll mark for later, when dosbox is in.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Thanks for reporting. I have been working on the intercace and so progress has been good, only bit slow.

CG and Dosbox can be compiled together so far but I had reorganize some stuff so I was not able to test it further.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm planning to upload another CG Version with bugs fixed this or next week, if that is okay for our testers.

It will use the new code interface for dosbox fusion, but dosbox will be disabled, because it is not mature enough yet.

The code interface isn't that new, it still uses GsKit, but a bit more of it than before making the code a bit more uncluttered.

That much hasn't changed. I basically changed old pointer to newer C++ patterns and simplified the surface handling of sprites, tiles etc.

Some of these surfaces got in rendering a bit faster, but I think this only happens when SDL 1.2 is used, so for software rendering basically.

The main improvements of that upcoming CG version will be more organized source and hopefully less bugs, because I was squishing some of them on the way.

So in terms of functionality I will have some bugs fixed. So much new you won't see, just a more stable version of CG.

In terms of coding, well the code will have some sources deleted, as they were old and are not needed anymore. But there are many new files as well, especially the dosbox stuff, won't be compiled for now in the releases.

Coders still can do that, if they want. Also they will be able to turn on Dosbox fusion and they will see a new button in the game launcher, but nothing is going to happen.

I'm on it!
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

I'm preparing to release a beta this weekend, and after that another release with less, so I hope we find a lot.

Dosbox fusion is on the works, but will be disabled for now, since it is not ready yet. Only code in the sources will be seen. More on that later.
gerstrong
Vorticon Elite

Post by gerstrong »

Here we go. Commander Genius Version 1.7.4.0 Beta is out.

In one week I plan to make it release, so let's see what other bugs we get fixed and provide a solid experience.

The dosbox fusion is not yet included in those builds. Maybe the next version will include it, I'm working on it.

Have fun:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cloneke ... nius/V1.7/