Mort 1: Doomship Dilemma - ultimate version

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Mort 1: Doomship Dilemma - ultimate version

Post by szemi »

At last it's done as well. :) Download it now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4975825/Mort1.zip

This is the ultimate (and canonical) version including the continuations (Mort 2 and 3). It uses Dr. Villain's scheme, but I also added some new stuff.

Hope you will enjoy this!
Yeah, piece of cake!
Bernie
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bernie »

dude i can't shoot :( also it looks like Keen6.

edit: ok i found out how to shoot but its awkward :(
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I know it looks like Keen6, but not completely.
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

I like this mod, at least artwise, art is quite good and gives the mod quite unique look.

Code patches are pretty basic and the mod seems to be too easy, I didn't die even once so far...maybe it has to do with recognizable and not too strong enemies with little to no patching and relatively simple mapping with not too much enemies placed
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

DoomJedi wrote:I like this mod, at least artwise, art is quite good and gives the mod quite unique look.

Code patches are pretty basic and the mod seems to be too easy, I didn't die even once so far...maybe it has to do with recognizable and not too strong enemies with little to no patching and relatively simple mapping with not too much enemies placed
First episode is "easy" as there's no boss, only thing is to get the four items back just like in Keen 1. But the second and third will be harder.
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

A few art remarks:

1. Cola can is too flat and not shaded properly to a radial object. Can help to fix if you'll send me the sprite.

2. The shiny block should have a shift/phase artwise relative to the parallel background time, to be more noticable. Maybe even this can be shaded separately and more unique to differ more.
Last edited by DoomJedi on Fri Jun 27, 2014 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

*yawn*

Cola shade is good enough and that's all.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

szemi, you need to learn to take criticism. The cola can looks like a box and has no shading at all. DoomJedi offered help but you just rudely blew him off.

Also the controls are messed up. Right shift may the button you use for pogo, but it's not the default and shouldn't be set that way.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

I know he offered, but I just leave it for the next version of Mort 1. Yesterday I was "mad" a bit as I started Mort 2 and bumped into many problems, so now I leave Mort 2 as well (for a while).

EDIT: Problem resolved, working on Mort 2.
Yeah, piece of cake!
DoomJedi
Vorticon Elite

Post by DoomJedi »

Finished playing the mod.

This is a nice fast mod, "szemixperience" for sure, that as always suffers from a feeling of being at least a bit rushed (with ideas for next mods and trilogies already dominating szemi's ever creative mind). Fun to play.

Main weakness of the mod is being way too easy, and too predictable patch-wise. The protecting solid block before most of the black-gargs is making the garms helpless and teethless so to speak, and they can easily killed not on "even ground" - but where they can't hurt you back. Their placing should be more challengeble and less..."safe". Maybe, being black - they should've been placed and use (patchwise) the background darkness smarter and sneaker for their advantage.

Some nice blocks, though again a bit too many simple direct recolorings.
Mod as usual is built to have the least of changes, Mort being recolored Keen, and visiting the same place (Mars) so even change to the world map is not needed. Sure it's creativity "save the work/what to reuse smartly"-wise, but feels a bit "lazy". Sure it has a charm for some fast mods - but if overused can make the "quantity over quality" impression.
I myself don't believe in shortcuts or modding magic...there is no way to make a good mod with too little work, only using tricks. There is no way around it, good mods, to be remembered - take time. Those which take more time to make - leave deeper impression and stay longer with us. Thought, planning....take time. Small mods have their own special charm and fun (both creating and playing), no doubt, but only if balanced properly by deeper modding works. Sure one can decide to make small short-lived mods, as he can just make more mods, so legacy of previous mods is not that important to him. It's a modding choice, and I respect that.

Sure it's extra fun to play as Mort and not Keen.

The moving-line floor looks a bit unrealistic without proper animation.
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

Screenshots? :)
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Alrighty:

Last edited by troublesomekeen on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:56, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Tormentor667
Vortininja

Post by Tormentor667 »

This also looking very quality, thanks for the shots :)