Ocflore 1 Level Demo

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Ocflore 1 Level Demo

Post by Bubbatom »

Too much on tomorrow, so I thought I'd do the Keen Day update tonight.
:birthday
One demo level (Pelagic Pillars) and some story snippets in the story section in F1 help menu:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/531 ... 20Demo.zip

I've given the level a small clean up, but it's definitely not done!

Enemies are lacking, partly because I haven't finished enough behaviours and partly because Levellass has gone walk about (probably more computer issues?) with fixing existing patches. You can point out issues, but I probably already know about them and just couldn't get around to fixing them before today.

The level is really just a taste of what's to come.

Please enjoy what's there!
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

This was really neat! Nice level design that encouraged exploration and I really liked that first key trick (won't spoil it, but I was amazed when the "door" opened). One complaint is that when I see water I think Keen can go into it-- just glad I saved my game often.

Also, I got tired of that bird flying around and shot it :P

haha, altogether, well done!
troublesomekeen
Vorticon Elite

Post by troublesomekeen »

Ridiculously great.
I was a little bit careless on my playthrough, not realizing I had picked up the key-items necessary to open the tall door and progress further into the level. But it's a joy to wander around this level. The colors or perfect, the plant life is superb, and the half-moon design of some of the creatures is unique and memorable. I really, really like the bits of the lively written story and the artwork for it.
Over the past few years, Keen has been doing it all. The modding output is off the charts, and with all the demos we've seen, production will still be at a high in years to come.
I've been posting videos on youtube all day. Busy, busy!
Commander Keen in... Canteloupe Quest!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Awe-inspiring. Once again anything I could do is as bird poop.

Does anyone know why a computer might randomly slow down to slug speed? It seems to be an issue with allocating new memory since a program already running works at normal speed until it tries to do something new. The future of this mod depends on it!
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Plasma Captain
Vorticon Elite

Post by Plasma Captain »

I am loving the atmosphere in this. The graphics are really great, but it's also the vastness of it, the distant stuff in the background, and the feel of another world produced without the need for over-the-top weirdness. It seems natural and organic. I'm looking forward to exploring more of it.

Using keygems to generate poles and switches to disable spike traps are both pretty interesting ideas. They make it feel fresh and unique (which I'm sure was your intent).

As for Lava's complaint about the water, I must admit that my first instinct, upon seeing translucent water, was to try to walk into it. But I feel that you shouldn't discard your vision for this reason. I'm not really sure what you could do to make it more obvious that Keen can't enter the water, and the clearness of it really looks good.

I did encounter a couple of ledge glitches. The first can be observed in this screenshot. As for the second, I didn't get a screenshot in time due to the nature of it. In the second room, at the upper-left corner, where there is a pole extending into a hidden area, if you jump up and grab just so, you can climb out of the stage and exit.

This is really good!
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Plasma Captain wrote:As for Lava's complaint about the water, I must admit that my first instinct, upon seeing translucent water, was to try to walk into it. But I feel that you shouldn't discard your vision for this reason. I'm not really sure what you could do to make it more obvious that Keen can't enter the water, and the clearness of it really looks good.
Heh, I did try it too, just in case. Well, one learns it quick enough after losing one life in the first level, so I don't think any extra warnings are necessary. (It really does look good as it is.) We should just remember the rule from all these platformers: ordinary water kills. :)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

Yeah learning is part of what immerses a user in the videogame experience. Without it, more of the game content is experienced by a few pixels on the screen and less by the person in the chair.

Oh yeah, beautiful mod... the sprites are the highlight for me. The backgrounds are of course wonderful too and really have that slightly tribal, very terrestrial Keen4ish thing going on.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A few bugs:

This part of the map is missing some slope tiles:

Here I can grab onto a platform in a way that looks... odd. I used the Y cheat to show the tiles involved:

This is interesting; it happens when Keen is on a falling platform that goes down past one-way-up ground:

Finally this Vorticon here gets stuck jumping back and forth over your head, letting you shoot him at your leisure:

Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Wrong thread? This looks like Dr.Colossus' MoM: Galaxy game.
Quillax
Vorticon Elite

Post by Quillax »

Yeah, I agree with Lava89. Levellass, you appeared to have posted in the wrong topic.
Quillax Ship - Where you can download all of my cool, keen mods and super-marvelous fangames!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

*Looks*

Wait.. how did I even...?

I don't even know how I managed to do that. I do have some notes on this mod. Eh. I'm too lazy to move the post. Also I don't know how.
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Using moderator powers, you can do the following to move a single post (which I will refer to as Post X) into another thread:
  • Split the posts after and including Post X from this thread into their own thread (I'll call it Thread A)
  • Split all but Post X from Thread A into a new thread, Thread B
  • Merge Thread A (now containing only Post X) into the destination thread
  • Merge Thread B back into this thread
Or, if it lets you delete single posts out of the middle of a thread (I'm not sure if it does), simply copy the content (which is accessible by clicking Edit) of the first post and paste it into a new post in the destination thread, then delete the misplaced post from this thread.

Woo, phpBB?
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

If someone can point me to the thread this should be in I am willing to do that.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

The thing is Dr.Colossus didn't post a topic related to his mod (helloooo?). Instead, he made a post into the Keen 314 2015 thread. You may move this there and it will make sense, though it may still be irrelevant even there because the topic itself is generally for Keen releases, not specifically for MOM.