Grand Intelligence: Gold

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Grand Intelligence: Gold

Post by szemi »

And here's the gold compilation of my Martinez McMeyer trilogy! :)

Download now: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/497 ... ezGold.zip
(WARNING: Once you report me bugs or anything else, I will fix them and this download link will automatically be updated! Keep it in your mind.)

Demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfqWOLBo0g
Last edited by szemi on Mon Nov 02, 2015 13:41, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Kate
Vortininja

Post by Kate »

looks realy good) :)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

A quick first impressions.

There's no way up from here unless you have a card, bad idea.

You need some 3D-ishness for your flat grounds. here the enemies look like they're floating in air. It shouldn't be too hard to add those graphics unless you've run out of tiles.

I was kinda disappointed there were no secret areas here in all these similar poles. Could have\ rewarded exploring there.

Got stuck here and couldn't find a way to continue the game.

What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

1. That's supposed to be one way down, not for up as it's the end of the level. But it's very evident: there's no extra life or something else there you have to jump for + you evidently and mainly firstly have to complete the level by getting the keycard, so it's definitely a good idea.

2. I'll make or something, I have some tile space, but I almost ran out of tiles.

3. Some people like it, some people doesn't like it.

4. I'll fix that.
Yeah, piece of cake!
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

szemi wrote:1. That's supposed to be one way down, not for up as it's the end of the level. But it's very evident: there's no extra life or something else there you have to jump for + you evidently and mainly firstly have to complete the level by getting the keycard, so it's definitely a good idea.
Tom Hall completely disagrees with you:
Tom Hall wrote:-- Never have an area the player can get into that they can't get out of. The player should never have to kill themself or quit. The only exception is a puzzle game, where you can get stuck.
(From a design doc that Tom Hall wrote in 1994.)
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, I didn't know that, so then I definitely fix it, which is done soon.

EDIT: Mod has been uploaded to moddb.com: http://www.moddb.com/mods/grand-intelligence-gold
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

It helps to have 3D tiles, 2D tiles look like part of the background and seem quite confusing in places. I am sure more tile space could be found with a little looking over of things.

This platform (down the bottom) never moves, it is stuck in the solid level bottom ground. It should be higher, the ground not blocking or removed.

Here the player must guess when the next platform passes by, this is a recipe for lots of needless deaths. Possibly a tile at the edge of the rocks the player can jump down to to see the platform.

You can stand on this slop tile:

This platform is way too high, it causes this bug when Mart stands on it. I think it should be moved down a tile at least.

The lightening is not deadly (It always is in games like these.) The upside down blue stuff can and MUST be walked through but kills you if you jump on it. (Whaaaaat?!) The ceiling blue stuff doesn't kill. All in all very confusing as to what is hazards.

This levels tarts with Mart right under a hazard, it's a recipe for instant death and very unfair. It should be moved right a tile or two to give the player some breathing space.

Some enemy here hasn't been placed right and causes the level to glitch into blah.

Whoever your beta tester was, you should fire them.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Well, let's see:

No worries, I fix everything automatically. I promised. And it'll be fun to fix. :)

Since there isn't a concrete 'Deadly' tile property for Keen Dreams version of Galactile (just like in Keen4-6), that's why I cannot make it deadly other way. Hope you get it. Galactile should be developed or updated I think.

Which enemy caused the 'glich into blah'? Tell me and I fix that as well.

As for the 3Dish tile, I'll make that.

As for the beta testers you should have tested them, but you weren't here when I needed you and then I thought you will be here rarely or something.
Yeah, piece of cake!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Re: Grand Intelligence: Gold

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

szemi wrote: (WARNING: Once you report me bugs or anything else, I will fix them and this download link will automatically be updated! Keep it in your mind.)
Szemi, can I suggest getting a beta tester for this stuff before releasing it?
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

szemi wrote:Since there isn't a concrete 'Deadly' tile property for Keen Dreams version of Galactile (just like in Keen4-6), that's why I cannot make it deadly other way. Hope you get it. Galactile should be developed or updated I think.
Shameless plug, but Abiathar has had tile property lists specific to Keen Dreams since v2.7, and the Tile Properties view mode (which has been around forever) would help identify unwanted blocking surfaces. If you need help, feel free to message me.

If you need a beta tester, I could find some time.
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Firstly I'll need Levellass, who extracts me the graphics from the game, because I cannot do that for strange reasons.

@VBB: Alright, you can betatest the game.

@Fleexy: I'll need help at making the hazards deadly (not like I did in Galactile).
Yeah, piece of cake!
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I don't know which enemy, it never appeared, just went to gibberish.

Fleexy wrote:
szemi wrote:Since there isn't a concrete 'Deadly' tile property for Keen Dreams version of Galactile (just like in Keen4-6), that's why I cannot make it deadly other way. Hope you get it. Galactile should be developed or updated I think.
Shameless plug, but Abiathar has had tile property lists specific to Keen Dreams since v2.7, and the Tile Properties view mode (which has been around forever) would help identify unwanted blocking surfaces. If you need help, feel free to message me.

If you need a beta tester, I could find some time.
The problem is that in Dreams only a deadly top property exists, I am wondering how difficult it will be to patch in a deadly property now...
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

szemi wrote:@VBB: Alright, you can betatest the game.
Er... it's kinda late for that, szemi.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

You know it...
Yeah, piece of cake!
Fleexy
Tool Smith

Post by Fleexy »

Levellass wrote:The problem is that in Dreams only a deadly top property exists, I am wondering how difficult it will be to patch in a deadly property now...
Ah yes, I forgot about that, and just assumed that special property 3 (which is Kill in Galaxy) would do it. I imagine it wouldn't be difficult in source modding, but patching may be another story.