XkyKeen4: Surrender

This is where you can post your Commander Keen related stories, artwork, or other stuff that is related to Commander Keen but otherwise doesn't belong in another forum.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

XkyKeen4: Surrender

Post by XkyRauh »

Hey guys. I'm not particularly proud to do this; I'm officially admitting that I will never be able to complete XkyKeen4.

In the interest of Keenmunity service, I'm releasing what I've got here:
http://files.commanderkeen.org/users/xk ... yKeen4.zip
If you're interested, please check it out.

I'm sorry I couldn't find the time to make it happen--but after five years, enough is enough, and it's stupid to hold on to the files with false hope. Reality sucks sometimes.

Thanks for the support and the encouragement. :)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

First of all: GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! #¤%/&Q%/¤)(Q/¤)(#¤ :garg :furious :( :dead2 Nooo!

Then: So, so, so, Awesome, gonna try it as soon as I can!! :D :drool :crazy :mortlol

But really, really too bad XkyKeen4 didn't come true in full. :(

I hope there'll be some other Keen 1-3 Xky mods, still. ;)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
q 90
Vortininja

Post by q 90 »

It definitely had promise!!! And whoa?! A Keen 4 mod? Only one other full K4 mod exists!

It's a sad sad day. :(
Member since 2003, with breaks of varying longevity interspersed.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I will play it soon. It's too bad you couldn't finish it, but then, I've been there. Life gets in the way, and full mods of Keen 4 are not easy to do. (Hence their rarity.)
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

Oh man, I'm crying blood! :bloody The graphics are so brilliant!! The best Keen sprite ever, I would have loved to jump and run through places with this one. This captured the magic of Keen or something so well! Damn! Awesome animations, especially when you go in through doors! :D The nature backgrounds in the first levels, so tasty. It is so pity this kind of thing takes too much time and all that, it would have been a brilliant mod.
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Toomuchsparetime
Vortigaunt Elite

Post by Toomuchsparetime »

Ah well, you're still more man than all the guys "working on" DNF, Xky. ;)

(ZING, 3DR! ZING!!!!)
entropicdecay
Mad Mushroom

Post by entropicdecay »

It's a shame, but I can understand. Thanks for releasing the unfinished version.
Djaser
Holy Monk Yorp

Post by Djaser »

Unfortunately there isn't a single level playable. Damn shame with all those awesome graphical goodness.
Aaaah, not the bees!
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

Thanks for releasing what you finished, Xky. These graphics, specifically the Keen sprite, are incredible.
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

Amazing work...I must say that your Keen sprite is of phenomenal quality. I also love some of your enemy replacements, and the natural background.
XkyRauh
Mortimer's RightHand Man

Post by XkyRauh »

KeenRush wrote:Awesome animations, especially when you go in through doors!
I was planning on having most of the doors be chutes/shafts, so that it would make sense for Keen to sort of hop into them. All of them were going to take place inside the factories, where the Vrungs were going to be rampant. I could never settle on the factory floors looking quite the way I wanted, though.

I also got pretty hung up when I found out that the climbing animation (for poles) was only three frames! :\ I was trying to figure a way to make it four, stealing from the slide, instead, but that never made any progress.

Rather than continuing to string Keen along, I figured this planet would be the place of the XkyKeen series showdown with Mortimer--so the object of the episode was to infiltrate the six Vrung workplaces and ask the foreman to open the locks. Once all the locks were popped, the passageway down into the planet's creepy underground would be opened, and that would have been XkyKeen5. Totally wishful thinking. :P

I'm still clueless what I was going to do with the Wetsuit. :\

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. :) The Keen sprite's not done, obviously, but feel free to use whatever you want. It's all open-source now... haha
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Too bad you didn't get to finish it. But it's amazing what's done so far.

It's also cool to see how you worked on it... The little notes in the tilesets, the doodles. :)

It'd be great if someone else finished this. but I don't think it'd still have that Xky feel to it.
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Stopping by to say I'm really sorry to see this one go. Xky, your graphics rock and the way you've reimagined the enemies is brilliant. The planets environment looks absolutely bizzare. Would have loved to explore that.

I think my favorite part was howlick replacement swings the wrench, looks fantastic. Same goes for the Berkloid ax swinger guy.

The idea for keen to jump down chutes instead of going through doors really just blew me away; I wish I had been that creative when modding.

Anyway, sorry to hear it won't be completed, but awesome work nonetheless :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

So it's official... well maybe you'll someday be missing the whole modding thing and you'll find your way back... maybe do a little Keen 1-3 mod, that isn't so much work.
Be sure to play our mods in the future, will you?

Thanks for your unfinished mod.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
StupidBunny
format c:

Post by StupidBunny »

I remember I tried to do a mod of Keen 4 a few years back...I actually replaced a lot of the sprites and some of the tiles, but what I did wasn't really that good. In any case, the main thing I discovered about modding Keen 4 is that it is REALLY time-consuming, and working with the masking tiles, especially back then, coupled with slopes was an utterly mind-numbing task. I couldn't have done as well as either Xky or Ceilick if I tried. (I probably still couldn't. :P ) In any case, that mod really had no direction at all and I don't even know if I still have the work I did.