Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
_mr_m_
Vortimaestro

Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

Post by _mr_m_ »

EDIT: I'll try and make my updates here on this post, so look here first to see if I've updated anything.

After positive and encouraging feedback from an early sample of my mod, I've decided to make the announcement--

I am working on my Keen 4 mod that is intended to close the gap in the storyline between Keen Dreams and Secret of the Oracle.
It's final title is Foray in the Forest

I won't disclose too many details, but here is what I have completed as the time I am writing this post:

World Map

There are a few graphical errors that were pointed out to me, and still need to be addressed; Otherwise, I'm quite satisfied with it and am ready to move on, especially after messing up the carmackizing process (or maybe it was importing new music) at least twice and losing all my work twice. The world map is in it's third and final incarnation.

Levels

Four levels are currently being worked on. I just need to place enemies in 2 of the levels, and they're done!

Graphics
I can't comment on this, as the mod isn't done. I'm modding the tileset and adding/replacing tiles as I need them. Since my plan is to have this take place on Gnosticene IV, most of the graphics and monsters will remain untouched, while still providing a new experience.

Music
Two songs are done now..The World Map song is set in stone..and a new song to replace 'Oasis.' I'm quite happy with it.

Help/Story

New help screens and story are done for the most part. If I think of anything that needs to be changed, it will be done.

Miscellaneous

New Score Box
New Neural Stunner "Bullets" (Explained in story)

And, of course, some teaser shots for everyone:
Title Screen
Screen #1
Screen #2
Screen #3
Screen #4
Screen #5
Screen #6
Screen #7 Screen #7 (With new tree)
Side-by side comparison

(Sorry for the low quality. It was a simple PrintScreen, Paste in MS Paint, Save as JPG process. I run DOSBox using 2xSAI scaling. And yes, I am aware there is something awry with the title screen. It will be fixed before the final release, but for me this is a minor detail at the moment.)

I'll periodically update everyone with progress, but it will be slow going as I start my fall semester tomorrow. Keen stuff takes a lower priority to my studies, fraternity, friends, etc...With that being said, If I have agreed to do work for anyone on here, do not worry. My work for you will get done.

Also, at the moment, I am not seeking out beta testers; I don't have enough done yet. When that time comes, I'll choose those who are most interested in testing.

Cheers!
Last edited by _mr_m_ on Fri Sep 11, 2009 21:05, edited 12 times in total.
"I just drew this stupid little fish." -- Tom Hall
Ceilick
The Dude

Post by Ceilick »

Having seen the early sample, I can repeat here: this is going to be awesome. Your new graphics fit in great with the original gnosticus IV graphics, those ruins are especially cool. Definately looking forward to this one :)
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Looking very tasty indeed.

The combination of interior and exterior backgrounds in that in-game screen appears to work nicely, and the pyramid covered in vines and the campfires are interesting touches.

The island full of ruins looks a bit cluttered. Maybe you could make the island a bit bigger and space things out?
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Post by Genius314 »

Wow, it looks great so far!
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Wow buddy it'll be cool.
Keen 4 mod? Excellent. :)
Yeah, piece of cake!
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Re: Commander Keen in: Foray in the Forest

Post by Mr. 314 »

_mr_m_ wrote:After positive and encouraging feedback from an early sample of my mod, I've decided to make the announcement--

I am working on my Keen 4 mod that is intended to close the gap in the storyline between Keen Dreams and Secret of the Oracle.
It's final title is Foray in the Forest
!
Hell!!! This was my idea!!!! Damn you. nah seriously tho, hope it goes welll. i'm sure youd do a better job than my pitiful excuses at attempting a mod :o
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Well done so far. If this was a Vorticons mod, I'd probably criticized too few graphical alterations, but knowing how much work a Galaxy mod is, I can understand that. Good luck with the progress, I hope this sees completion, as so few Galaxy mods have yet.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

If this is supposed to be what Keen did for the gnosticene council to owe him a "favor", I'm all for it :)
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass
Mink
Vortininja'd

Post by Mink »

This looks like it'll be excellent. I think it's a neat idea to set the mod on Gnosticus IV. Will this take place in the Shadowlands or a different part of the planet? Good idea not doing too many graphics in your first mod so as not to be overwhelmed.

If Carmackization is giving you trouble (or just taking a very long time) I'd recommend checking out Instant Carma, which is much faster. And if you need any patches or help with anything else, don't hesitate to ask.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

Oh Ceilick, what torrent have you unleashed on us?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Mr. 314
Vortininja
Location: If I knew Do you really think I'd actually tell you???

Post by Mr. 314 »

a very nice one methinx
time's wasting and evil doesn't thwart itself
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

I liked the fungus-encrusted pyramid.
Hopefully this won't be another mod that goes with the new hyper-difficult craze...
Commander Spleen
Lord of the Foobs

Post by Commander Spleen »

Yeah, your graphics would be best appreciated with a balanced and fair difficulty level.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Great! Nice to see a new keen 4 mod.

I was planning a Keen6 mod, but dealing with different layers is still hell to me and unnecessary hard.
candyjunk
Grunt

Post by candyjunk »

Keen 4 is my favourite keenIt looks like your mod adds some textures and neat stuff, so its gonna be great. as long as it got the keen4 feeling ofc.

Im working on some keen4 maps too now, but its going slow. if a map doesnt feel right i erase it and do it all over..

Edit:
wiivn wrote: I was planning a Keen6 mod, but dealing with different layers is still hell to me and unnecessary hard.
ive worked on levels for about 25 games in my life, and ted5 is one of the easiest editors i know. if you know the hotkeys its very simple.
Shifting back and forth into the void