Commander Keen: Project Shadowlands

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
Spikenexus
Vortininja

Post by Spikenexus »

There's a shot of the backyard in the end sequence of Keen 2, and I think another in that scrolling story/demo sequence bit of Keen 4 also.

Just watched the videos on youtube and I hate to sound repetitive, but I think they look awesome.
Laz
Grunt

Post by Laz »

Bingo, thanks bud.

One more question for ya'll.

Do you see Mortimer as being a paralell dimension version of keen, albiet evil?

I spose what I mean is, do you see him as looking like keen? or a completely different characer all together.
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

Most of the depictions around the site show him to be pretty similar to Keen.
KeenEmpire
Intellectuality

Post by KeenEmpire »

Now that's what I call an impossible bullet trick.
"In order to ensure our security, and continuing stability, the Kingdom has been reorganized into the First Vorticon Intellectuality!" Image
Shilor
Vortininja

Post by Shilor »

Bonevelous wrote: Keen looks awesome with that backpack and those gloves. 8)
I agree the gloves are a nice touch. I think they are appropriate too because lately I have been pogoing around and got blisters from doing so lol :o
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Look over in this thread where we currently discuss how to design Mortimer: https://pckf.rigeltechnical.com/viewtopic.php?t=774&start=480
Image You crack me up little buddy!
pizza2004
Vortininja

Post by pizza2004 »

For some reason... I totally want to make a Commander Keen RPG or something now. I'm just very excited by the total amount of awesomeness contained within this topic.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Mortimer is supposed to be evil, though I think he's just a hard kid :).
Laz
Grunt

Update

Post by Laz »

Hey guys, a tiny bit of progress for ya, it might not be very exciting to you, but it is to me. I decided to start working on the HUD / UI stuff, upon starting I realised I had to rewrite a tonne of work to get even simple game pausing functionality. Unity has a way of dealing with stopping/pausing everything with a single function, but I couldnt use it (which I had planned to do)

But I finally got it all working how I want - Here is an example of it working. The asset isnt textured yet, and I havent even started on the UI so theres no information on the screen like there should be. If you dont recognise it, its this Image

The upside of creating my own pause functionality is I can control exactly what gets frozen when the game is paused, for example the background elements dont get paused, it helps keeps a bit of life, even when paused - not that you even notice because theres a big UI sitting overtop of it.

Ive also been busy with a bunch of other stuff aswell. Creating High resolution assets for Cinematics and also playing around with designs of Mortimer. It is progressing albiet at a snails pace :/.
Shilor
Vortininja

Post by Shilor »

That's looking very nice Laz. I like it how you are incorporating the original style of the pause/scoreboard technique :)
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

This looks perfect. I still think you're doing that astonishingly fast.
Image You crack me up little buddy!
Laz
Grunt

Post by Laz »

Heres a small update on that menu. I'ts always nice when something you think should work in theory works out in practice.

Ive taken care of some under the hood work aswell - replaced some original nasty noob code with much more 'efficient' code.

Thankfully, I planned ahead and I should be able to reuse a lot of the code I have written for this UI for implimenting Keens watch and the Main HUD, fingers crossed.
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Very cool & much different than the original one in CK.
ZidaneA
Shikadi Master

Post by ZidaneA »

This kind of looks like something I've been thinking about since my early days as a human being.

This project seem to rock, but it's too bad someone started it before I did :(
Lava89
Vorticon Elite

Post by Lava89 »

Dude! I love your work. Keep up the good job! It's good to see more people take a crack at this, and especially with a project like this which has had a good, running start.

You have my support!