Invasion of the Vorticons: Mars Kingdoms

You can discuss anything about fan-made Commander Keen games here.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Invasion of the Vorticons: Mars Kingdoms

Post by thehackercat »

Hey guys! I've laid back on my Galaxy modding for awhile, and decided to start my career with something easier. A keen1 mod! :crazy

My mod is called COMMANDER KEEN in: Invasion of the Vorticons!
Lost Episode: Mars Kingdoms.

Basically, Billy Blaze travels back to mars after the events of Keen 3, and tries to establish some Garg-Yorp peace. Come to find out, there's actually a new species, which Keen hadn't discovered on his last visit. (These will be Vorticon replacements, as he has already freed them from the GI's slavery.)

These species are in collaboration with the Gargs, and tend to make poor Billy's job a lot harder. :dead2

What I'm asking of the community is this:
A replacement graphic for the "APOGEE" text right at the beginning. I want it to say "PCKF" in the same style. Any of you artists out there willing to do it? :begging

Also, I'd appreciate some help on how to edit the story and menu text.
(I know, I know, this isn't K:M, but it's a garg of a lot more friendly over here.) :spot
Genius314
Vorticon Elite

Re: Invasion of the Vorticons: Mars Kingdoms

Post by Genius314 »

Sounds cool. I don't have time to do any graphics, but I might try making that sign if I get the chance.

To edit the story and menu text, Keen 1 actually has several files devoted to this... helptext.ck1, storytext.ck1, and endtext.ck1. You can edit them in notepad (NOT wordpad, and especially not MS Word) or a hex editor.
As a rule of thumb, try and keep each line in the file the same size - pressing the "Insert" key to change to overwrite mode helps a lot. And try not to change symbols until you know what they do; you might mess the formatting up.
It's good to backup, too.
thehackercat wrote:(I know, I know, this isn't K:M, but it's a garg of a lot more friendly over here.) :spot
Hm... I don't know why. It's all the same people. Maybe it's just cause that forum is so much more technical, and this one is more laid-back.
Deltamatic
Vorticon Elite

Post by Deltamatic »

Would that be okay?
szemi
Vorticon Elite

Post by szemi »

Wow,Lost Episode: Mars Kingdom?
Excellent!
Yeah, piece of cake!
tulip
Flower Pot

Post by tulip »

Looking forward to it. I can see you set the story up in a way so you don't have to change too many graphics ;)
Image You crack me up little buddy!
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Wow Delta.. I think that will work perfectly. And yes... you know it. I'm not good at modifying tilesets yet.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

Hey.. the PCKF graphic isn't loading for some reason. I replaced the Apogee file with it and even gave it the same image proportions. I ran my import.bat script, which basically says:

Code: Select all

modkeen -episode=1 -import -bmpdir="c:\modding\keen1mod\bmp"
It still comes up as "Apogee." Halp? :dead2
TerminILL
Skypest

Post by TerminILL »

You need to specify the keendir in your script, I think. Something like

Code: Select all

modkeen -episode=1 -import -bmpdir="c:\modding\keen1mod\bmp" -keendir="c:\modding\keen1mod"
should be fine. Try that.
thehackercat
Yorp Doctor

Post by thehackercat »

No, it's worked before this. The keen directory is the directory of modkeen anyway; it assumes this by default. However, I will try this.

EDIT: I was actually missing 1BMP0008 & 1BMP0009. They weren't there for some reason. I put some copies in (thank goodness for that backup folder), but now it says it can't find 1BMP0010! That's the "PCKF" bitmap! AND It's RIGHT THERE!!! :dead

ANOTHER EDIT: Sorry, I added a PAUSE at the end of my batch file for debugging... and it turns out that the file was the wrong size. :o

So... forget about the problem. It works. BUT... I may need help with other stuff. Stay Tuned! :dopefish