When did you first play Keen?

Here, you can get help with anything or just chat about the original Commander Keen games.
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

sometime around 1996. it was the first game I ever played along with doom, warcraft 2, red alert 1 and duke nukem 3d.
Last edited by Dynamo on Wed May 11, 2011 21:20, edited 1 time in total.
Bubbatom
Vorticon Elite

Post by Bubbatom »

I first found commander keen 4 basically since i was born and it was the first game i ever played.
My grandparents had an old, OLD computer with only 4 games on it and when ever i visited them my older cousins would play through it.
When i was 3 my grandparents upgraded to a newer computer (but still extremely old) and we recieved the old, OLD one.
When i was 4 i didnt know that i was good at games so i would get my mum to play it but she could never pass slug village.

One day my mum suggested i play commander keen and when i did i was passed slug village in about 10 minutes!

Me and my brother loved commander keen 4 but never understood the story. We used to think that the creatures of the shadowlands were the shikadi and that the oracle along with the guardians lived on Earth.
I used to be teriffied of the cave of decendants because i thought all rocks were mimrocks that would kill keen.

When i was about 5 i found the pyramid of the forbidden (when i say found i meant seen on the world map). When ever our older cousins came over we used to ask and ask and ask whether they knew anything about the pyramid but they never did. After a while my brother and i worked out that there was guardian inside the pyramid of forbidden. We worked this out because in the enemy descriptions the picture of the guardian has a door next to it which wasnt in any other levels.

We guessed the way to the pyramid was by going off the map somewhere around the bottom and then coming up north to the pyramid. We used to dream about the pyramid wondering what it was like and what the story was with the guardian at the end.

My brother and i loved reading the id help page because it had pictures from keen 5 & 6.

During '07 i rediscovered commander keen and downloaded all the episodes free from somewhere (even though i should have payed!).
I went through every game finding all the secret levels. Then i found cheats and hints for commander keen online and thats how i finaly got to the pyramid of the forbidden.

Good Times
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

Bubbatom wrote:(even though I should have payed!)
shhhh, ID might hear you 8) :disguised :foot
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
Dynamo
Vorticon Elite

Post by Dynamo »

the truth is that the very best people like me started playing keen in 1996. LIKE A BOSS

EDIT: woa woa woa how the hell did I even type "at 1996" wtf
Last edited by Dynamo on Wed May 11, 2011 18:22, edited 1 time in total.
kuliwil
Blue-tongued Yorp

Post by kuliwil »

CKeen wrote:the truth is that the very best people like me started playing keen at 1996. LIKE A BOSS
I was 1995 or 1996 too wootwoot.
"Hi, I'm Tom Sellick's moustache."
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

kuliwil wrote:
CKeen wrote:the truth is that the very best people like me started playing keen at 1996. LIKE A BOSS
I was 1995 or 1996 too wootwoot.
Newbies... :P

'94 I think...
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Stealthy71088
Vortininja

Post by Stealthy71088 »

It was Keen 4, and I think 1994. I never actually played Keen 1 until 97 or 98 for whatever reason. Played 2, 3, and 5 ~2001 or 2002? Found Dreams online somewhere around the same time and downloaded it. Finally got Keen 6 through the id anthology 2005?
DHeadshot
Vorticon Elite

Post by DHeadshot »

Stealthy71088 wrote:It was Keen 4, and I think 1994. I never actually played Keen 1 until 97 or 98 for whatever reason. Played 2, 3, and 5 ~2001 or 2002? Found Dreams online somewhere around the same time and downloaded it. Finally got Keen 6 through the id anthology 2005?
You missed out Keen GBC! :celtic
Cereal Board!
Deltamatic wrote:Prepositions are things I end sentences with.
(Cereal wiki has sadly died)
Reactor
Grunt

Post by Reactor »

Well it wuz aroun 1992 or so, when I had mah first computer wit' EGA monitor! Damn it was amazing!!! At that time, 16 colours were like the 4-D HD-graphics ultramodern televisions today! Well anywayz, only very few of the friends had computer, and gaming shops were unimaginibly rare that time, so we were forced to "trade" games via floppy-disks. I god Keen 1 from one of my closest friends, at first, I wuz so dumb, I did not even understood I need to press "CTRL" to enter them buildings! First I got Keen 1, then Keen 4, and after that, Keen 6. Keen Dreams wuz the last game I got before the age of "da Internetz".

When I finally had Internet, I downloaded Keen 2, Keen 3, and Keen 5, and complited'em all. And after that, came Ceilick's The Universe is Toast! trilogy, and I finished it also. Evil Mortimer got what he deserved, ha-ha-ha! :p
INCOMING TRANSMISSION
"Marine! Er...never mind..."
TRANSMISSION ENDS
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Spring of 2001 or so.
(Used to be LordofGlobox)
Bloogbae
Grunt

Post by Bloogbae »

1996 or 1997 and it was keen 6 that was the first one I played and is definitely my favorite of the series although I played keen 4 back then also. I played keen 5 slightly later probably 1998. keen 1-3 I never played until 2002 or 2003 and therefore aren't my favorite compared to keen 4-6. I also got the gbc game about 2002.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Bloogbae wrote:1996 or 1997 and it was keen 6 that was the first one I played and is definitely my favorite of the series although I played keen 4 back then also. I played keen 5 slightly later probably 1998. keen 1-3 I never played until 2002 or 2003 and therefore aren't my favorite compared to keen 4-6. I also got the gbc game about 2002.
Yeah, I think that Keen 3 and Keen 6 were my favorites, with Keen 4, Keen 1, Keen 2, Keen Dreams, and Keen 5, in that order were my next favorites. Never played the GBA version, lol, and there's a good chance that I probably never will. Although, there must be GBA emulator and ROM, if I really wanted to play it.
Benvolio
Vorticon Elite

Post by Benvolio »

I first played in 2000. Owing to a general reluctance amongst my parents to endorse contemporary trends, I discovered Keen on a 5 1/4 floppy disk and played on a 1986 computer. I think I shared quite a few experiences with those of us who played Keen in the early 90s. I too shared it with friends on floppy disks. The same applied to music - there was no Limewire for me, so I had Alice In Chains and Nirvana songs dubbed onto cassettes for me by schoolmates. Is it any wonder that I feel such a strong nostalgia for the years around 1990, above and beyond the considerable nostalgia I also have for the years around 2000.
GoldenRishi
Vortininja

Post by GoldenRishi »

Benvolio wrote:I first played in 2000. Owing to a general reluctance amongst my parents to endorse contemporary trends, I discovered Keen on a 5 1/4 floppy disk and played on a 1986 computer. I think I shared quite a few experiences with those of us who played Keen in the early 90s. I too shared it with friends on floppy disks. The same applied to music - there was no Limewire for me, so I had Alice In Chains and Nirvana songs dubbed onto cassettes for me by schoolmates. Is it any wonder that I feel such a strong nostalgia for the years around 1990, above and beyond the considerable nostalgia I also have for the years around 2000.
I think everyone has nostalgia surrounding their childhood.
VikingBoyBilly
Vorticon Elite
Location: The spaghetti island of the faces of dinosaur world for a vacation

Post by VikingBoyBilly »

Nah, my childhood sucked. I played Keen in College in 2007 to relieve my sucky adulthood. Ah, nostalgia.
"I don't trust players. Not one bit." - Levellass