Regentropfen (Raindrops, Keen 1 Mod)

Here is where to post about the latest Commander Keen fangame or modification you've finished, a new website you've made, or another Keen-related creation.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Regentropfen (Raindrops, Keen 1 Mod)

Post by Grandy02 »

Dear comrades, I'm proud to present you a new innovative mod of Keen 1, Regentropfen, German for Raindrops. Sorry, no screenshots, still images are simply not representative of this masterpiece, which is a proof of the advanced technology of our country. You just have to try.
Download

I'm serious. A world class consumer good like this can only be crafted in a nation as prosperous as ours. It sets new standards for the entertainment of our citizens.

Товарищ Острый любит игру.
Last edited by Fleexy on Sun Feb 26, 2017 20:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix encoding
PCKF Archive - The Keen Community's Past (and Present) | grandy02.shikadi.net
Levack
Vortininja

Post by Levack »

I expected this to be a fake...due to its release date. :p

Very cool!
MoffD
Vorticon Elite

Post by MoffD »

Am I supposed to laugh or cry?

*goes back to playing it*
mortimermcmirestinks wrote: Now I wish MoffD wasn't allergic to me.
Levellass wrote:You're an evil man.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

If anyone posts a youtube video of 'this' in the topic I shall punch them.

Also, perhaps you wanted a patch that lets Keen automatically go to level 1 from the map after a specific amount of time?
What you really need, not what you think you ought to want.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Levack wrote:I expected this to be a fake...due to its release date. :p

Very cool!
Thanks! Well, at least it's a 100% playable fake. ;)
MoffD wrote:Am I supposed to laugh or cry?
Both!
Levellass wrote:Also, perhaps you wanted a patch that lets Keen automatically go to level 1 from the map after a specific amount of time?
Actually not, as the real East German arcade games also required you to do something in the title screen, or the map in the case of the mod (to insert the worker's hard-earned money). So automatically going back to the title screen would be more appropriate.

If anyone wants to see what inspired this, check out the Flash versions of the Poly-Play games. Click on "Starten", press CTRL to commit, shoot etc. and G to "insert money". The rest should be self-explanatory.

But the actual start for this was a mod concept (only in my head, nothing modded yet) where Keen himself would shoot at an endless flow of icecubes (like a shooting gallery), and there would also be enemies. As April Fools' Day was approaching, I thought a heavily simplified version of the concept with graphics like a technically outdated East German video game and some inspiration from Comrade Keen would be funny. So I made "Regentropfen" within less than a month.

Anyway, the first one who lets Jolly Bucket catch 100 drops will be awarded the Banner of Labour. ;)
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I have a rather nice run of 112 drops, the RNG was very kind to me. (I got a lot of double drops. Is something supposed to happen when it gets that high?)

Also man, a 15KB freeing patch for one tiny, itty-bitty little Butler collision patch? Truly you have captured the spirit of communism even in your patches.
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Levellass wrote:I have a rather nice run of 112 drops, the RNG was very kind to me. (I got a lot of double drops.)
A winner is you, comrade!

You also receive the Certificate for Good Knowledge of the Traffic Rules for no particular reason.
I'm sorry for anyone who has also reached a score that high, but you have to wait for the next five-year plan so that we can produce new Banners of Labour. ;)
Levellass wrote:Is something supposed to happen when it gets that high?
I actually thought about something like that. When the player reached a certain score, they would receive an extra life and then could select a bonus round or something on the map after dying. Not in the little experiment called Regentropfen, though. Maybe in next year's April Fools' mod...
In any way, thank you for seriously playing this! :D

By the way, the green creature that pops up in the "Pionierlosung" screen is a teaser for my next mod.
Other "easter eggs" include:
- "Sport frei!" (One Moment screen) is a sportsman's greeting commonly associated with, though not limited to, East Germany and its former territory of today.
- That's Lippy when waiting a moment in the title screen, of course.
- The names in the high score list are all related to characters of East German children's television. If you delete or rename the file, though, the three default names are the forenames of members of the communist elite.
- The status window ridicules Erich Honecker's lengthy official titles.
- Use the C+T+Space cheat, press Alt and look what happens. Also try to "shoot", then (spoiler) the Russian word дружба (friendship) appears.
- The message that appears when quitting the game is (now extremely outdated) East German youth language for "The game is totally awesome!"

And the "Weltspitze" picture with the "mobile computer" ladies is real, of course, only the caption is a joke. Check out the wonderful original photo:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... mputer.jpg
Last edited by Fleexy on Sat Jul 27, 2019 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: recover text from phpBB2 database
Roobar
Vorticon Elite

Post by Roobar »

Levellass wrote:I have a rather nice run of 112 drops, the RNG was very kind to me. (I got a lot of double drops. Is something supposed to happen when it gets that high?
I could not get more than 80.
Levellass
S-Triazine

Post by Levellass »

I was aiming for 100. The trick is to go for the times you get two raindrops that are right next to each other, you can usually get both before they vanish.

- "Sport frei!" (One Moment screen) is a sportsman's greeting commonly associated with, though not limited to, East Germany and its former territory of today.
- That's Lippy when waiting a moment in the title screen, of course.
- The status window ridicules Erich Honecker's lengthy official titles.
- Use the C+T+Space cheat, press Alt and look what happens. Also try to "shoot", then (spoiler) the Russian word дружба (friendship) appears.
- The message that appears when quitting the game is (now extremely outdated) East German youth language for "The game is totally awesome!"
That... that's an impressive amount of effort for an April fools' prank.

- The names in the high score list are all related to characters of East German children's television. If you delete or rename the file, though, the three default names are the forenames of members of the communist elite.
And that's almost scary.
Last edited by Fleexy on Sat Jul 27, 2019 22:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: recover text from phpBB2 database
KeenRush
Android Dummy

Post by KeenRush »

:lol I love it! It's great to see small experimental mods like this. The concept is great.

(And can't wait that next mod. Just played your first again about a month ago.)
My newest mod - Commander Keen: Sunset: viewtopic.php?t=8568 | codename H.Y.E.N.A.
Flaose
Vorticon Elder

Post by Flaose »

This is one of the coolest mods I've played. Very nice (and creative) work.
Cerebral Cortex 314 - For All of your Commander Keen Needs.
Eat at Joe's
Grandy02
Vortininja

Post by Grandy02 »

Levellass wrote:That... that's an impressive amount of effort for an April fools' prank.
Actually not that much when one is familiar with that stuff and the clichés, so little research had to be done. But I simply enjoy scattering such little details, and the mini-mod was really fun to make.
KeenRush wrote::lol I love it! It's great to see small experimental mods like this. The concept is great.

(And can't wait that next mod. Just played your first again about a month ago.)
Flaose wrote:This is one of the coolest mods I've played. Very nice (and creative) work.
Thank you! I can already tell that is also an experimental mod - but serious this time. ;)